Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars!

Ok, folks, it's time for the annual Oscar style round-up!

Instead of belaboring the post trying to do some high critique, I'm just going to give ya my first thoughts on all things Oscar fashion. Please comment!

One of the themes of the night seemed to be gowns in neutrals with a bit of sparkle. There were some stunners (see below), but both Nicole Kidman and Gwyneth diappointed me with their very different interpretations. Kidman because the color is so blah, and Gwynnie for her lack of make-up and stick-straight hair. On the upside, Kidman's necklace is GORGEOUS and I'd be lying if I didn't say GP's pilates body wasn't made for allover sequins.
Speaking of allover sequins... they are always a standby for Academy ladies. This choice by Amy Adams is so-so for me. I love her, so I wanted to like this dress. The color is nice though a bit muted for my taste (although maybe that makes it perfect Oscars formal?) and the cap sleeves are showing off her rockin' arms. In fact, I don't know what it is that I don't like about this... perhaps the accessories?

As I said, there were some stunning sparklers on the red carpet. I didn't recognize Mandy Moore in this, and even when I read it was her I assumed someone confused someone else with her! The almost-my-skin-color dress seems to blend seamlessly. I'm not sure it's a dress so much as a really well done bedazzler project. My normal reaction to something like this would be "ice skater costume," but this time it is just too pretty to scoff at. Well done!

Haters can trash her all day long, but Helena Bonham Carter is quirky in all the right ways. She has fun with fashion.. isn't that the point?? It's not like someone is making you wear things for their pleasure. Love the union jack tattoo (or whatever that is) and the stacked platforms! Making basic black pop is tricky, but she's done it.

Team triple axels coming this way! Or, maybe she's headed to the alito deck for some shrimp cocktail and a tom collins. Either way, I'm not on board.

Another winner in pale pink and sparklies, but something is lacking. I feel like I've seen her in this type of gown again and again..

See, there isn't a formula for Oscar dressing. Michelle Williams (about whom I still have no idea what she's been in) went for the low color/sequin/transluscent gown and ended up looking like she's wearing a t-shirt dress with spangles.

I have no idea what to say about Cate Blanchett's choice. I love her, so that's coloring my judgment. Is it cutting edge? Not really. Unflattering? Not really. What is it?

Now, even though the dress is a little pageanty, Jennifer Hudson's choice here is spot on. The red carpet is about a wow factor and being memorable. Say what you will, but this blaze orange number will not be easily forgotten. Though perhaps it being burned into your retinas isn't exactly a compliment.

I'm not going to whine about how "this isn't the real J-Hudson because she lost xx number of pounds" either, because that is damn hard to do, and who wouldn't want to show off their hard work? A slightly more reddish orange might have been better for her skin tone, but otherwise this was a classy number.


And that's all I got, folks. What were YOUR favorites of the night? Whose style would you steal?

4 comments:

  1. Ok,
    I should be sleeping so real quick-

    I loved Amy Adams dress, I loved the color, like thousands of saphires... the jewels, interesting but I won't go so far as to say they don't work. your photograph actually looks a bit duller than it did on the 15 minutes I watched of the red carpet.
    The close of of GP is so gross but the full length... oh that body. Good grief already.
    Nicole, we love you, you have to wow us more than that.
    No way that's Mandy Moore... no fricken way.
    HBC, I have always loved her. She's married to what's his name for pete's sake - you can't expect "class" - she's a riot.
    Got to disagree with PC, SHE JUST HAD A BABY LIKE 30 DAYS AGO! I think she looks fabulous and I thought the dress was a nice change form everyone else's light and flesh toned stuff...
    Speaking of light and flesh toned - Halle's was lame and WHO is that next girl... horrible.
    I keep defending Cate's choice... I mean, how MANY red carpets has she done... I liked the dress as a nice change... I liked the unique color and shape, the neckline detail up close was very pretty... I like the angles with the angle of the haircut. Different and appreciated.
    As far as Jennifer Hudson - I like top cleavage but sometimes, as here, "inner cleavage" especially when so much whiter than the rest of her skin really bugs me.

    There you have it.

    Night. Night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I agree, Nicole should have brought more to the table. From what I remember of other photos, I liked the shape of Gwyneth's dress.

    I actually am in love with the deep blue of Amy Adams' dress. But the accessories, perhaps not so much.

    Being about the same age as Mandy Moore I've loved her since she was a blonde teen, but I agree I had to do a double take. She tend to always look glowing and beautiful. However, this look is even beyond that. I am in love with the dress and actually spent this morning trying to figure out how to find one.

    Helena is one of my favorites, she always "does her". I love someone that comfortable with who they are.

    Penelope does look awesome for just having a baby, and with that man as an accessory, I'd say she's set.

    Miss Williams left me underwhelmed. Majorly.

    Cate could wear anything and I'd love her.

    And finally, I agree that the last dress should have been more red. I'm also concerned that next year we won't recognize her. She lost the weight so quickly that it's made her face a bit off and I'm just waiting to see if she's crazy enough to try and correct it surgically. I think it's great to lose the weight, I'm personally aiming to take 40 off right now. But she did it so quickly, and I remember reading an article when she was about a size 8 and her saying that she thought it was perfect she didn't want to lose more blah blah blah....and then she did. It sends the wrong message to women.

    Okay, off my soap box! Just found your blog, love it, I'm becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments! Now I want to add...
    I retract about Amy Adams's dress. It's probably my monitor that is making the color drab! From other sites the color is much richer.

    Jennifer Hudson... Ang, yes, her boobs look weird. There, I said it! =) Kalee, I feel you on being worried about her. It's good to be concerned about the rapid weight losers because it can become an addiction easily. I encourage you in your weight loss goal and I'm sure you'll do it slowly and safely.

    I know PCruz looked great, but I just didn't like the dress. Nothing against HER, just didn't dig it.

    As for Cate - we're on a first name basis, Cate and I - I realized I was having a hard time assessing it because it's more couture than the others. That is one thing I love about her style (hers is the style I'd borrow if I could) is that she thinks outside the box. Unconventional color, cut, coverage. On second look, I thought, "how could I not love this immediately?"

    Ahh. Having made peace with that dress, I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Jennifer Hudson killed it! That color looks amazing on her!
    And love the color of Amy Adams dress too, lovely with her hair :-)

    ReplyDelete

This fashionable follower said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails