Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Time!

Ok, I don't watch the Oscars. I don't care who wins what, and I typically have never seen any of the movies anyway! But, like many, I like to peruse the fashion the next day.

Here are my least favorites and most favorites of the night. BIG winner: Rachel McAdams!

This watercolor dress was flowy, fitted and feminine. Perfect!


Runner-up: Maggie Gyllenhaal.


She's usually a bit edgy for my taste (surprising, since I like edgy style), and kind of dour. But she looks put-together, her make-up is classic and she's got the most important accessory: great posture (see Kristen Stewart for comparison).

How about Vera Farmiga? I don't know who she is, but this dress is sculpturally pretty interesting. And for goodness sake, it was nice to see some bright color on the carpet. Most women went with silvers and muted metallic tones. Snooze-fest.


But, sadly, not everyone was a winner. [Ha! I'm probably the first one EVER to use that play on words, aren't I?] Sometimes, I'd rather see them wearing basic black gowns (a la Tina Fey); even though they're boring, they don't make you look like a frilly cupcake sleeve! Here are the best of the worst:

Jennifer Lopez - Dude, Mermaid Barbie called and she wants her gown back. Also, I'm not showing pics of the back of the dress which was, let's say, an unhappy ending.



Charlize Theron - Even if you've got a great top half, it is not flattered by affixing rose applique to it.




Zoe Saldana - I like purple, a lot, but this ruffles my feathers. Ha! Another awesome pun.


But it makes me sad for her because you can tell she's so happy in this gown! I guess that gives her a free pass for now.

And then... Demi Moore. A lot of people are saying this look is great, flatters her figure and the color is spot-on. But to me the color is the same as her skin, which weirds me out. Also, too ruffly! What is with trying to add as many layers to your dress as possible? It ends up feeling a bit tortured/overworked instead of flowy and free. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I love Vera Farmiga's dress. Change it to white, and I'd be happy as a clam with that as my wedding dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Sara, that would be a very cool wedding gown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I liked Demi's gown...Amélie and I watched the red carpet together...me in jammies and she is rhinestones...I wish I was kidding...but Demi's gown could have been a shade or two darker - it was a little bla.
    I am with you totally on your best dressed but I didn't think J Lo's was THAT bad. I think Miley bad posture Cirus should win for WORST EVER! What a dork.
    And Charlize? Sweetie, those roses are right WHERE YOU BOOBS ARE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Sarah Jessica Parker but not many people did. I thought it was interesting. I also liked Diane Kruger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought SJP's was interesting, too. It was very unconventional - something I like about her is that she usually takes a risk.

    Ang, J Lo's was not that bad? Perhaps you didn't see it from the back! I know, she's got awesome curves blah blah, but it wasn't very flattering...

    ReplyDelete

This fashionable follower said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails