Thursday, August 19, 2010

If You've Got a Sewing Machine...


... and your budget is small ...

... and you never seem to find exactly what you like at the stores ...

this blog may be a wonderful inspiration to you!
Introducing "New Dress a Day!"


This L.A. blogger has given herself a tiny budget (only $1 a day) to find a thrift, garage sale, swap or estate find (usually a hideously flowy mumu or too-adorned ruffly dress) and transform it into a new, chic dress, top or jewelry item. Most often it's a dress she makes, but let's be honest - even for a super creative person, not everything can be fashioned into a dress that's wearable.

After browsing through about twenty posts I immediately decided to go to the thrift store soon and acquire items for fun reworking before the baby is born. I love a project! And, one could use some more summer items...

I was just lamenting last night that shorts are flip flops, though comfy, are so BORING! And, making one's own maternity wear out of $1 (or a couple more bucks) items is pretty smart. Maternity clothes are pretty expensive new. Lastly.. putting on a dress makes me feel womanly when lately I just feel, well, like there's a lot of me.

So check out the website! Get inspired! Modifying clothes is VERY easy to do, definitely beginner work, especially when just reworking a dress. Most of the changes are in taking in a size or two, hemming up the bottom, or cutting off sleeves. You can do it, too!

Some of my favorite posts from NDAD:






Have a fun day!

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of her website! It reminds me of my highschool days and trolling the Salvation Army (Sal's) as we called it for finds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! Ahh.. those were the days. I still have a hard time passing up a good condition faux fur coat when I see one at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete

This fashionable follower said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails