Thursday, August 5, 2010

Notes from the Past



I'm not a fan of the word "retro," but vintage fashions do have a secure place in my heart. Though I don't own many older pieces, I recognize that there are certain styles that NEVER go out of style and, really, I'd be smart to invest in some more of them.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark gets it so right.


There are some fashions that are definitely dated - certain cuts of skirts and pants, etc. - and going overboard with too many vintage items does create a costumey look, but incorporating a few classic items can really pull a look together and quickly. Here are a few of my favorites...

Short Leather Gloves

Short leather gloves say to everyone, "I'm a lady of luxery," even if you bought them at TJ Maxx. Classic black will go with everyone, but bright colors can also add needed punch to an otherwise simple dress and heels. I like these mustard yellow and aqua gloves for that purpose.

Not for warmth, short gloves are a very ladylike addition to outfits in fall, winter, spring, even summer. I'm not too thrilled about fingerless gloves, but embellishments like bows, pearls and crystals do attract me a bit more.



A short post on glovesFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


Short leather gloves are the perfect combination of dainty femininity and edginess. How many clothing items can you say this about, that you could see Marilyn OR Jackie wearing them?

Wide Leg Trousers

They made their first appearance (popularly) in the late sixties, in "career suits" for ladies venturing into the workplace. By the 70s the trend was - pardon the pun - in full swing. And why? Because they look good on virtually everyone:


* On the short side? Wear heels or platforms and elongate your stature.

* Pregnant? Get 'em with a belly band, or let them sit low underneath your belly. They can replace the elusive "flattering maternity jean" (does that exist??), look great dressed up or down, and conceal the post- (or during-) baby weight. Hooray!

* "Plus size" (I hate that term!)? They are so comfortable, and can be paired with all your awesome embellished shirts and scarves.

* Like menswear? You will love them as a new staple, replacing men's cut pants that tend to not accomodate hips.

Any neutral color will do - gray, black, blue, white or brown. Take your time to find the best fit for you and invest a little more money into them. Guaranteed - they will last a lifetime!


wide is on our sideFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore




A Fantastic Hat

For me, this is a cloche. It's so perfect - petite, non-assuming, feminine and a throwback to days when women covered their heads in public out of modesty... and not because, in a fit about their hair not looking right, or not having time to do it, they threw on a baseball cap! That's ok for college girls but ladies, really, I think we're better than that!

The cloche makes an appearance in any season that might require or would be suited to a hat: in spring and summer, straw styles keep the sun off the very sensitive skin of one's face, while in the winter a traditional felt or wool cloche hides ones smoky eyes and protects the hair from the effects of falling snow.

Pull your hair into a sidesweep or low bun/ponytail, put on a cloche hat and you will feel so glamorous, peering out from underneath the narrow brim.



cloche itFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore



T-Strap Pumps


I'm going to be pretty specific here! The perfect t-strap pump is not found with: a stacked platform base, an overly thick heel, or patent leather! And, I'm strictly endorsing pumps, not wedges or stilettos (although if you like those they are good with a) street styles and b) the corporate workplace).

Barring my restrictions, there are SO many lovely styles of this shoe to be found. I love them in virtually all materials, prints, colors and with embellishments. Thick heel, thin heels, wide or narrow straps - doesn't matter to me! Here are some of my favorites:




t-strap like thatFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

t-strap like that by onethirdlife featuring Seychelles shoes



































4 comments:

  1. I really like this post! It's hard to do vintage without it coming off as costume like, but that first photo is absolutely perfection! The gloves, bag, shoes, dress shape and pattern and hat are all perfect. Are you going to be reviewing fall fashion magazines this year? They are coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous pair of short leather driving gloves has been on my wish list for awhile now and one can never go wrong with a fab hat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... fall fashion... Seeing as how I will be away from work at the time with a new baby I'd say, heartily, YES!

    You know I can't resist them. Every year I pour over them with a sister and/or sister-in-law. Love it!

    Oh, I have wanted those gloves for so long, too. Even though it's summer I am always thinking about fall, and driving gloves. J'amour.

    ps. I don't speak French. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DANG GIRL! This is SOME POST! I have not checked in a awhile and I am glad I did! I am with you in agreement on EVERYTHING here... if only we had the funds, you and I could do some major damage out there together!
    Can't wait to see what you wear to your shower!!!!

    ReplyDelete

This fashionable follower said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails